Recipe of the Month – Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake!
A variation on the traditional non-bake cheesecake..the base is a solid gingery biscuit! The result is a lovely moist base that compliments the fresh, light cheesecake. You can use any fruits for the swirl…I sometimes top the cheese cake with a brandy snap or raspberry & black pepper tuiles.
45g soft brown sugar
90g golden syrup
190g plain flour, sifted
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
500g cream cheese
80ml lemon juice
2 tsp. vanilla extract
120g icing sugar, sifted
500ml double cream
3 tbs. caster sugar
2 tbs. lemon juice
1. To make the swirl, place the blueberries, sugar & lemon juice in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Cook for 10-12 mins or until thickened. – Set aside to cool completetly.
2. Preheat oven to 190C/gas5 . Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until pale and creamy.
3. Add the syrup, flour, ginger & bicarbonate and mix to a smooth, soft dough. Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic film & refrigerate for 10 mins. or until the dough is firm.
4. Roll out the dough between 2 sheets of non-stick pater to 3mm thick into a 20*30cm rectangle – place on baking tray and bake for 8-10 mins. or until golden brown and cool completely.
5. Place the rectangle in the base of a 20*30*4cm deep baking tray lined with cling film. Place the cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 3-4 mins. or until smooth. Add the lemon, vanilla and icing sugar and beat for a further 2 mins. or until smooth.
6. Whisk the cream until soft peaks form and fold it through the cream cheese. Spoon over the ginger base, top with blueberry mixture and lightly swirl with a spoon to marble. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours until set. Remove from tin and slice with a serrated knife