Spiced Coconut Cream Chicken
This is a lightly spiced creamy chicken dish and will re-heat well if you wish to make it a day in advance or you can freeze it, thaw overnight, bring to boil and simmer gently for 10 mins. Delicious served with fruit and nut rice.
Prep: 25mins. Cooking: 1 hour Serves: 6 EASY
1 green chilli
50g creamed coconut
4 tbs. Oil
1.4kg skinless chicken breast fillets
6 garlic gloves
2 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground coriander
½ tsp. ground turmeric
1 tsp. garam masala or mild curry powder
1 tsp. of ground paprika and 1 tsp. poppy seeds
1 ½ tsp salt
6 tbs. double cream
fresh coriander and lemon wedges to garnish
- Finely chop the onion, deseed and finely chop the chilli. Skin, deseed and finely chop the toms. Coarsely grate the creamed coconut.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and brown the chicken a few pieces at a time until golden on both sides. Remove and drain on kitchen roll.
- Lower the heat, add the onion and crushed garlic, stirring occasionally until brown. Stir in the spices, paprika, poppy seeds, salt creamed coconut and chilli. Cook stirring for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 3-4 mins till the mixture is like a thick paste.
- Return all the chicken to the pan with 5-6 floz of water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer fro 20-30 mins or until the chicken is tender. Stir halfway through cooking time.
Gently stir in the cream and simmer for 1-2mins. Adjust seasoning and serve garnished with fresh coriander and lemon.