Monday’s Recipe of the Week!
Warm salad of Chickpeas, chilli, feta & garlic – Served with Red onion Flatbreads
This is a fabulous salad great served with friends either at the dinner table in the winter or out on the deck in the summer – it works amazingly well in all season’s….try it!
2* 450g tins of pre-cooked chickpeas – rinsed well
200ml olive oil
3 red chillies, de-seeded and finely sliced
12 cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
3 red onions, peeled & finely sliced
150ml cider vinegar
1 cup roughly chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 cup roughly crumbled feta
1 cup sliced spring onion
1 cup fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, then add the chilli, garlic & onions and cook over a high hear for 5 mins. stirring to prevent sticking
- Add the vinegar and boil until it has evaporated (about 2 mins).
- Put the chickpea & onion mixture in a large bowl while still warm , add the remaining ingredients & mix really well.
- Leave to sit for 15 mins. before giving it another stir & test for seasoning.
For the Flatbreads
225g self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
200g greek yogurt
1/2 small red onion. thinly sliced
- Place the flour, baking powder & yogurt in a bowl and work into a slightly sticky dough, adding a little water if necessary.
- Knead until smooth, divide into four equal pieces and roll out thinly on a lightly floured surface to form ovals.
- Press the onion rings into one side of each oval
- Cook the dough on the barbecue or grill pan for 1-2 mins eahc side
- Slice into strips and serve with the warm salad and tuck in!